The decision to get dental implants is a major one, and while it is the best option to go for given everything else and the other alternatives available, it is still a major dental procedure. Now as with every other medical procedure, there are some things you need to take care and be wary off in order to ensure a swift and healthy recovery. With dental implants, you do need to take care of a few things as well, especially the first few days after the procedure.
- You have to place a gauze beneath your teeth where the implant was placed and firmly, yet gently bite down on it, making sure that there is some pressure as you bite it. You can change your gauze after every 45 minutes the first 24 hours after the procedure. You can wet the gauze in water before you bite down on it in order to make sure that it is comfortable for you.
- It is recommended to take soft and pureed foods the first 3-4 days after the procedure while your mouth is healing. At the same time, you have to avoid foods that are really hot, spicy and avoid using a straw as well.
- Smoking will hinder the healing process, so avoid smoking throughout the recovery period as well.
- Avoid doing any form of strenuous activity the first two days like lifting things, bending down and so on since the strain can lead to active bleeding.
- A certain degree or swelling and discomfort is normal and you can take the recommended medication and ice the area as well from time to time.
- You will need to take gurgling saline water after the first 2 days of the procedure, especially after meals in order to keep the area clean.
You can always learn more about post-procedural care from your Atlanta implant dentist in case you have an queries or concerns.